The ADB-Bangladesh Resident Mission (BRM) was established to assist its Headquarters in the implementation of projects and programs, in project processing, country programming, and economic and sector work. It also coordinates, ADB’s activities with other resident diplomatic and donor missions, NGOs, academic institutions, local think tanks, private sector and other members of the eivil society.
- Position ID : 67003
- Location : Dhaka, Bangladesh.
- Department: South Asian Department
- Division: Bangladesh Resident Mission
Actively contributes to the Bangladesh Resident Mission (BRM) – and to the Public Management, Financial Sector and Trade Division (SAPF) as its country focal point – to the delivery of results, including handling loan/technical assistance (TA) processing and administration, portfolio management, sector work, and other general sector activities, covering public and private sector operations, with a particular focus on capital market development, infrastructure finance (including Public Private Partnerships [PPPs]) and small and medium enterprise (SME) support. Takes the lead role in the processing and administration of assigned loans and TAs.
Project & TA Preparation and Appraisal
- Provides support to and undertakes independently fact-finding and appraisal missions, including but not limited to review of project/program designs and cost estimates, liaison with government officials, data and project/program costing, implementation arrangements and related technical issues. Participates in successful formulation and processing of ADB-financed loan and TA projects.
Project & TA Administration
- Where assigned to assume the lead (or co-lead) role in the processing and administration of specific loans and TAs, actively takes initiative and responsibility to engage with Resident Mission (RM), Headquarters (HQ), government agencies, development partners, private sector partners, and other stakeholders to facilitate the successful administration and monitoring of ADB-financed loan and TA projects.
- Provides team leadership (where assigned as lead) by facilitating work planning, delivery and reviews with the team.
- Provides support to SAPF missions visiting Bangladesh by: (i) helping arrange meetings with high level representatives of various stakeholders, (ii) actively participate in meetings, (iii) follow-up independently on outstanding matters; (iv) in country donor coordination, and (v) any other pending issues originating from visits of SAPF staff.
- Monitors the progress of assigned projects and prepares project performance reports.
- Prepares and updates forecasts of contract awards & disbursements, identifying factors responsible for shortfalls and expediting achievement of target levels where possible.
- Identifies issues and takes actions to address them through interactions with executing agencies (EAs), contractors, consultants, and project beneficiaries; prepares measures to address the issues and implementing the measures.
- Prepares internal procurement papers, review of procurement documents including draft designs and cost estimates, and papers for extension of loan closing dates, reallocation of loan proceeds, changes in scope and implementation arrangements, and other project administration tasks.
- Provides advice to government ministries, EAs and sector entities on ADB guidelines on procurement, recruitment of consultants, preparation of tender documents, etc. to ensure effective implementation.
- Assists EAs in the areas listed above for project administered by various sector divisions in the HQ.
- Prepares Project Completion Reports and TA completion Reports as assigned.
- Leads Project Review or Country Portfolio Review missions as required
- Provides support for or conducts policy dialogues with government on policy matters and institutional issues.
- Maintains close cooperation with other international donors and undertakes meetings and consultations with them, especially in areas relating to donor coordination and harmonization in sector work. Participates actively in related local consultative subgroup meetings.
- Contributes to tripartite portfolio reviews, country portfolio review missions, and monitors overall performance of the portfolio of ADB projects in the sector.
- Contributes to sector work in the field by assisting in conducting research, updating information on the assigned sector, analyzing financial, institutional or economic issues, and preparing reports on the subjects.
- Prepares sector assessments within the context of development aid effectiveness and national sector strategy to be utilized for programming purposes.
- Maintains up-to-date knowledge base of future government plans and approval processes, organizational structure and policies relevant to the assigned sectors.
- Prepares inputs for sector database for portfolio management.
- Acts as the focal point for capital market development, infrastructure finance (including Public Private Partnerships [PPPs]) and SME support and maintains close relationships with the relevant government agencies and HQ staff.
Other Operational Support
- Maintains regular contact with HQ colleagues, in particular SAPF staff, to exchange views on relevant topics and provides updates on recent developments in the financial sector and capital markets in Bangladesh.
- Helps to organize, contributes to, supports, and participates in meetings, conferences, seminars, and workshops.
- Organizes and conducts workshops for EAs, as appropriate.
- Produces reports, as required, on the tasks undertaken in relation to the above.
- Performs other duties that may be assigned as reflected in the incumbent’s workplan.
- At least 10 years of relevant professional experience in financial sector and/or commercial banking and capital market development
- Demonstrated expertise and experience within the assigned sector
- Strong corporate finance experience with a particular focus on project finance, in particular PPPs, and capital market development would be a plus
- Experience & knowledge of various stages of the project cycle (project/program planning / feasibility analysis / project/program design / project/program implementation / / contract management) is desirable
- Sound knowledge of government administrative systems and procedures
- Effective report-writing and communication skills in English
People and leadership skills
- Able to mentor administrative staff (AS) to facilitate work planning, delivery and quality review
- Able to liaise and work effectively with government officials within own work location
- Able to work collaboratively with teams as a constructive team member.
- Strong oral and written communications skills
Application of Technical Knowledge and Skills
- Independently performs more complex technical tasks without supervision
- Demonstrates breadth and depth of job relevant knowledge and skills
- Builds networks within the team to ensure they benefit from, share and leverage knowledge
- Flexibly delivers services and solutions to better meet client needs
- Develops trusting relationships with internal and external clients leading to mutually satisfactory relationships
- Understands current and emerging client issues prior to proposing solutions
- Regularly collects client feedback and implements suggestions to address issues
Achieving Results and Problem Solving
- Proposes practical measures to address significant and unexpected problems and challenges
- Remains sensitive and alert to the views of different stakeholders and their influence on outcomes
- Identifies risks and proposes ideas for how they can be managed
- Formulates recommendations to address deficiencies when results are not achieved
- Addresses team members not contributing to required standards
- Commits to delivering timely and high quality work to assist in the team’s success
- Develops and maintains good internal and external peer and senior level relationships
- Helps teams understand common features to build rapport and overcome challenges
Communication and Knowledge Sharing
- Provides stakeholders with the level and quality of information required to achieve outcomes
- Encourages others to seek long-term solutions to address feedback opposed to focusing on immediate concerns or reactions
- Uses knowledge to equip clients and staff for more effective outcomes
- Designs and implements project and program knowledge and services
Innovation and Change
- Consistently seeks more effective and practical ways for the Departmental delivery of services, products, and processes
- Proposes new ways to improve the quality and relevance of products and services
- Includes the core benefits and reasons for change when developing comprehensive change roll out plans
- Influences and persuades decision makers by presenting business cases supporting the proposed changes
Reporting Relationships/Other information:
- Supervisor: Country Director and/or Deputy Country Director. Maintains regular contacts with Director, SAPF and relevant SAPF staff
- The following staff positions may be supervised by the incumbent: Administrative Staff, National Staff (NS1-NS2)
- Support Staff (Field Offices)
As per Banking policy.